qums

The correlation between major dietary patterns, Physical activity and blood fat composition in children and teenagers of Minoodar neighborhood of the city of Gazvin, Iran

Fargol, Sadeghi and Maryam, Javadi and Shabnam, Jalilol Ghadr and Sakineh, Shabbidar (2015) The correlation between major dietary patterns, Physical activity and blood fat composition in children and teenagers of Minoodar neighborhood of the city of Gazvin, Iran. Masters thesis, Qazvin university of Medical Sciences.

[img] PDF
Download (427kB)

Abstract

Intruduction Studies have indicated the prevalence of dyslipidemia in childhood and teenager. It has been proven that eating habits, which are usually formed at early ages of childhood or teenager, could affect people’s health later in life. This study aims at finding the correlation between major dietary patterns and blood lipid composition in children and teenagers of Minoodar neighborhood of the city of Qazvin. Metod In this study 321 people aged between 10 and18 were elected. Each person’s food intake was collected through a Food Frequency Questionnaire. Venous blood samples were taken from all cases after a 12-hour fasting. The correlation between major dietary patterns and blood lipid composition was measure by ANCOVA. Results Almost half of the participants (154 out of 301) were female (51.2%) and the rest (147 out of 301) were male (48.8%). They had an average age of 15.8 years old. In comparison with standard sample, the levels of Hypertriglyceridemia, Hypercholesterolemia, High LDL Cholesterol and Low HDL Cholesterol in that age group were 17.7, 5.1, 3.7 and 36% respectively67.1 percent of the cases had normal BMI and there was no significant difference in the serum lipid composition [total Cholesterol(p= 0.813), Triglyceride(p=0.313), LDL Cholesterol(p=0.978), HDL cholesterol(p=0.114) and fat intake(p=0.94) and BMI(p=0/09)] between boys and girls, though the amount of energy(p=0.012), protein(p=0.012), and carbohydrate intakes(p=0.001) in boys were significantly higher than girls.In total, 31.1 percent of teenagers had low physical activity, 24.1% had moderate physical activity and only 44.6% had high physical activity. There was also significant difference in physical activity between girls and boys. That means boys had higher physical activities than girls (p=0.001). By the use of factor analysis method three dietary patterns were identified. It showed that there is no significant difference between blood lipid composition and body mass index in quartile of each dietary pattern. As we took age, gender, BMI, energy intake and physical activity as confounders, adjusting these confounding factors, also showed no relation between blood lipid and any of those identified dietary patterns. This study shows no significant association between blood lipid composition and any of three identified dietary patterns There has been no significant difference between physical activity levels and dietary patterns quartile[(p=0.09),(p=0.75),(p=0.51)]. Conclusion The researcher suggests additional surveys with a larger sample in order to identify the dietary patterns, physical activity levels and blood lipid composition among teenagers Key words Diet, adolescent, lipids, factor analysis

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Subjects: R Medicine > RZ Other systems of medicine
Divisions: University Thesis > Faculty of Health > Health Science in Nutrition
Depositing User: Health School Students
Date Deposited: 01 Jul 2015 07:14
Last Modified: 07 Dec 2016 12:08
URI: http://eprints.qums.ac.ir/id/eprint/175

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item